Can a Dirty Air Filter Lead to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious health hazard that can have devastating consequences. It is caused by a cracked heat exchanger in a boiler or air conditioning unit, which allows toxic carbon monoxide to leak into the home. To prevent this from happening, it is essential to regularly change the air filter in your unit. Not only will this help keep your family safe, but it can also reduce your gas bill each month. When air flows more freely and the oven is clean, it is less likely to cause long-term damage or carbon monoxide leaks.

If you have any questions about how a dirty filter can cause boiler and air conditioning problems, or if you need to repair or install a heating and cooling system in your home, contact Hydes, your Coachella Valley heating and air conditioning contractor. The heat exchanger is the part of the oven where clean air passes through, gets heated, and then is distributed throughout the house. If this part cracks, it can be dangerous because it allows carbon monoxide to mix with clean air and be released into the home. While an air filter won't directly affect carbon monoxide levels, it does contribute to the overall condition of the boiler. A clogged air filter makes it difficult for the oven to get fresh air in the way it is designed to. When little or no air passes through the oven, your heat exchanger can overheat and crack, causing carbon monoxide to enter the house.

To prevent this from happening, it is important to remember to change your unit's air filter regularly. If you're having trouble remembering to change your unit's air filter, you might want to consider setting an alarm on your smartphone. This will help ensure that you don't forget and that your family remains safe from potential carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ashleigh Yballe
Ashleigh Yballe

Amateur internet ninja. Hipster-friendly tv fanatic. General pop culture buff. Subtly charming beer buff. Wannabe burrito evangelist. Award-winning internet practitioner.